RUTHLESS Tynedale strolled to their biggest win of the season against the toothless Sheffield Tigers, running in 11 tries to keep the pressure on the four sides above them in National League Division Two North.

Tynedale were always in control against the Yorkshiremen, putting together some dazzling handling moves in classic 15 man rugby style.

For once, they dominated things in the tight, giving the backs free rein to run the ball at every opportunity.

The kicking that cost them so dearly in the previous week’s defeat at Sedgley Park was back on song, with fly half Ash Smith converting eight of those tries, including one from right on the touchline, despite the fact the game was played in a howling gale.

In the continued absence of skipper Matty Outson, young David Cook took over the number nine shirt, and performed well, before being poleaxed by a particularly heavy tackle on the stroke of half time.He did not come out for the second period, and is subject to head injury assessment.

With free scoring Guy Pike also unavailable, James Clark was given a rare run-out on the wing and did not disappoint.

There was also a rare start for hooker David Batey, who seized his opportunity well. scoring a good try.

The Tigers kicked off with the wind at their backs, and after a couple of promising runs from flanker Joe Mills and full back James Spencer, it was the visitors who took the lead with a penalty from fly half Mark Ireland on six minutes.

It took Tynedale just three minutes to hit back, with a penalty line out producing a good catch and drive, flanker Nick Cairns getting the touchdown for Smith to convert. The same move bore fruit again on 16 minutes, with Cook just missing out on touching down, but Smith was there to pick up the pieces for a try he converted himself for 14-3.

Spencer grabbed the third try on 25 minutes, before some dazzling passing sent centre Tom Bramwell in for the bonus point try, well converted into the teeth of the gale by Smith to make it 26-3.

Tigers finally earned their stripes on 38 minutes, when a good break by number eight Lee Monks created the space for centre Jamie Broadley to bring it back to 26-8.

But the last word in the half went to Batey, who managed to stretch over to round off some fine forward play, Smith’s conversion making it 33-8 at the break.

It looked plain sailing for already rampant Tynedale with the wind behind them in the second period, but the Tigers thought otherwise, and winger Greg Mellor fought off a series of feeble tackles before releasing Broadley for his second try, three minutes in.

Normal service was resumed when Bramwell blasted in for his second try, but the Tigers refused to lie down, and a sparkling move from their own 22 saw Broadley complete his hat-trick with a converted try to bring the score back to 40-20.

But that was the visitors’ last hurrah, and as they tired. Tynedale lit the afterburners with a fine try by replacement Will Miller, converted by Smith.

Spencer got his second on 66 minutes, superbly converted from the touchline by Smith, before another good drive up the left brought a try for Joe Mills.

Max Davies tiptoed along the touchline for the 10th try before Ben Bell rounded things off with number 11.

Tynedale will find things a little tougher tomorrow, when they visit league leaders Sale FC, who beat second placed Hinckley 26-18 on their own ground on Saturday.

Tynedale are one of only two teams to have beaten Sale this season, in a 7-5 nailbiter back in October, so the men from Cheshire will be out for revenge.