Newcastle United suffered a narrow defeat to Borussia Dortmund at St James' Park on Wednesday night to deal their Champions League progression hopes a blow. 

Eddie Howe's side had topped the group following their 4-1 demolition of PSG last time out but couldn't find a way past Dortmund 'keeper Gregor Kobel. 

Felix Nmecha's goal late in the first half proved enough for the German giants to take all three points, which leaves the Toon third in Group F. 

It was a fast start from both sides at St James' Park as either team could have opened the scoring within the opening two minutes. 

First, Donyell Malen was denied by the legs of Nick Pope, before the home side countered with Joelinton finding Anthony Gordon in the area. 

The English winger twisted and turned in the box before unleashing a fierce effort that was well-saved by Gregor Kobel. 

Both goalkeepers were on top of their game and Pope would produce a phenomenal double save not long after. 

The England shot-stopper kept out Malen's powerful strike before somehow denying Niclas Füllkrug's follow-up.

Newcastle looked a constant threat on the counter with their speed and Gordon was denied again by the impressive Kobel after Miguel Almiron had robbed Malen on halfway.

As the game entered first-half added time, the visitors took the lead. 

Nico Schlotterbeck did brilliantly to tackle Gordon before advancing down the left-hand side, picking out Nmecha who produced a brilliant first-time finish.

The second half belonged to Newcastle but the hosts simply couldn't find the finishing touch.

Matt Targett's free-kick was headed against the underside of the bar by Callum Wilson with Kobel rooted to the spot, with the England striker also missing a key one-on-one.

With just seconds remaining, the crossbar was once again the Swiss goalkeeper's saviour as it denied Gordon's deflected shot, with the full-time whistle sounding not long after. 

It is a demoralising defeat for Howe's side after the high of beating PSG, and it seems likely that they will have to get something from Signal Iduna Park on November 7 if they are to progress.