ADRIAN Marrison was denied a century at the weekend, but his knock of 94 was pivotal in returning Stocksfield to winning ways.

After losing for the first time against rivals Tynedale, the home side were determined to return to their early season form when they welcomed Whickham. And they were in good hands as Marrison opened the batting alongside opener Chris Patterson.

The pair put on an opening wicket stand of 45 before Patterson was caught for 12 by Louis Ainley off the bowling of Gerhardt Badenhorst, his knock including two fours.

Captain Steven Henderson joined Marrison in attack and put on nine before becoming Badenhorst’s second victim, this time Jeff Bowman credited with the catch.

Aaron Rourke and Marrison put on 94 together as they moved the score on from 68-2 to 162, Rourke falling eight runs shy of his half century when bowled by Matthew Rodger.

Rodger struck again soon after, clean bowling Sam Beedle for a duck.

Marrison continued to tick the score on as he hit 15 fours and two sixes, but he was caught by Adam Wilkin off Andrew King on 94, denying him his ton.

It was over to Jonny Tobin (19no) and Tom White (20) to see the innings out, taking the hosts’ score to 220-5.

Whickham’s reply started disastrously as they limped to 12-3, James Tolchard removing openers Mick Armstrong (1) and Jeff Bowman (2) to catches from Patterson and White respectively, while Chris Scandle claimed Rodger (2) lbw.

Scott Richardson (36) and Adam Wilkin (40) steadied the ship, but Stocksfield’s bowlers were on top with Rourke claiming the next four wickets.

He claimed a fifth and it came either side of a wicket for Ryan Chamberlain and Matt Scandle as Whickham were all out on 155.

Tynedale’s teenagers were again on top as they made it four wins from their opening four games.

Sam Peter, Matthew Scott and Jake Robson did the damage with the ball, removing hosts Ryton out for a collective total of 99.

Ryton started well enough with openers Christopher Robb (24) and captain Neil Robinson (24) putting on an opening wicket stand of 42.

Robson ended the partnership by having Robinson caught by Peter, and he struck again soon after.

It was then over to Scott to take over the mantle from the other end, the teen claiming the next three wickets.

Opener Robb remained in bat throughout without scoring too quickly, but he was caught behind by Jamie Crichton to give Peter his opening wicket.

It was the first of five wickets for Peter as he claimed the last four wickets, finishing on 5-36 as Ryton went from 74-6 to 99 all out.

Tynedale would have been confident of a fourth successive victory going into bat, but they didn’t have it all their own way.

They lost Dan Parker (4) with the score on 11, given Philip Butler a catch from Robb.

Oliver Fletcher (1) and opener Tom Cant (15) fell in quick succession to have Tynedale in trouble at 20-3.

Along with Sam Mannion (6), James Rainford pushed the score on as he made a quick 27 from 29 deliveries, falling after Mannion and Euan Stephenson (7) had departed.

Jamie Crichton (1) didn’t last too long, Tynedale looking in danger on 62-7.

It was over to Peter and Scott to continue to catch the eye, both batsmen facing 30 balls and Peter making 23 and Scott 10 as they guided Tyne over the line.

Corbridge’s trip to Consett was called off due to rain.