TYNEDALE were leapfrogged by opponents Huddersfield in National League Division Two North, after a disappointing second half display in Yorkshire.

Huddersfield had been looking over their shoulders prior to the match, but they gave their survival hopes a major boost with a hard-fought bonus-point win at Lockwood Park.

The first half was a tightly contested affair in which Tynedale drew first blood, with Rob Parker slotting a penalty four minutes in to give Tyne the advantage.

The hosts had to overcome a calamitous opening spell with two yellow cards in quick succession for forwards Lewis Bradley and Nick Sharpe.

Huddersfield quickly struck back with a penalty of their own, before flanker Ben Bell crashed over the line for Tynedale to restore the lead.

The home side crucially hit straight back, strong running from centre Mark Pease allowing Fran Entressengle in for the try with Sharpe still in the sin bin.

Huddersfield went ahead on the half hour, Bradley peeling from the base of the scrum to supply Tom Hodson who crossed unopposed, Milner’s extras providing a 17-10 advantage.

The scoring in a breathtaking first half wasn’t done there, however, as Tynedale number eight Ethan Clarke scored on 36 minutes. Clarke scored wide on the left with the last score of the half to put Tynedale in touching distance at half time, with the score delicately poised at 15-13.

It was a good time to score, but Tynedale were unable to build on it.

However, after the break, the hosts changed gear to dominate the second period after overcoming a slumber.

Highlighting their control up front, tries from props Josh Crickmay and Alex Battye came without reply as the West Yorkshire side claimed maximum points in a power-filled second period.

Now with total dominance in the scrum, Field stretched their advantage after the restart with prop Crickmay crashing over.

Their lead stretched to a healthy 16 points following a classic catch and drive, Battye given the credit for the touchdown on 64 minutes.

A fine conversion wide on the left from Milner made it 31-15 and the scorers were left untroubled for the final 15 minutes as the hosts settled for the five points in the bag.

The two sides are now level on 57 points, but Huddersfield leapfrog Tynedale in the ladder, with six teams in all in the 50-point bracket.

Otley currently occupy the final relegation slot, five points behind Tynedale and Huddersfield, with fixtures postponed for the time being.