HOPES of reaching a cup final were snatched from Haltwhistle Jubilee’s grasp by the cruel fate of a penalty shoot-out.

A lack of spot kick success saw them fall short 6-5 in sudden death, after their Northumberland FA Minor Cup semi-final against Jesmond finished 1-1 after 90 minutes.

The match against fellow Northern Alliance Division Two opposition started with both sides playing with high pressure and attacking threat.

After making the 40-mile trip to Coach Lane Sport Campus in Benton, the away side were presented the best chance of the game 12 minutes in, but an attempt on goal was sent high over the bar.

The game never looked like settling down, and Jesmond’s wide players Wilson Kneeshaw and Lewis Shorrock became increasingly threatening in possession, but couldn’t manage any troubling shots on goal.

After giving away six cheap free-kicks inside the first half hour, Jubes assistant manager Alan Batey called for his players to sharpen up their game.

A header from Haltwhistle’s Paul Wilson from a dangerous corner smashed against the crossbar after impressive possession-based build up play from the away side.

Jubes’ forward Jack Barker later advanced into the box and latched on to a spinning ball, but he struggled to control it and his shot went over the Jesmond crossbar. However, the home side took the lead soon after when a deflected shot from Kneeshaw wrong-footed the keeper and ended up in the back of the net.

Jesmond looked to double their lead soon after, but Jubes goalkeeper Liam Blair came off his line and commanded the penalty box well to save.

Haltwhistle remained determined despite going into half time 1-0 down, and had a header scrambled off the line after Jesmond defenders failed to clear the danger.

The game maintained its end-to-end nature, and dogged defending from the Jubes’ backline saw two shots blocked off the line before a third chance was fired over.

Haltwhistle finally made a deserved breakthrough in the 53rd minute when Callum James fired the ball into the back of the net after Jesmond failed to clear.

With the game firmly in the balance, both sides looked to finish it off inside 90 minutes. Jesmond’s Kneeshaw missed a chance while one-on-one keeper Blair, after great link up play with Alex Cole, before Haltwhistle were also later denied a last ditch attempt on goal.

Mark Robson, Jack Barker, Sam Chapman, James Charteries and Kieran Robley all scored penalties, while there were heroics from keeper Blair, who produced a fantastic one-handed save, but suffered a shoulder injury in the process.

However, it was heartbreak for Thomas Wilkie and Jack Currah who both missed.

Jesmond will face Cramlington United in the final of the competition.