IT has been a disappointing start to 2020 for Hexham in the league, but the green and whites continued their recent resurgence in style on Saturday.

And they did it the hard way, with a convincing 3-1 victory on a partially waterlogged 4G surface against one of Northern Alliance Division One’s top five sides.

This was an unusual game for Hexham. The pitch at Wentworth Leisure Centre was declared unplayable, and Wallsend agreed to host the fixture at their Kirkley Park ground. It meant Hexham had to get their heads around playing a home match on away territory.

But the artificial surface, which had surface water in one corner, enabled the game to go ahead on a day of postponements across the sporting calendar.

This will be match remembered for a strong crosswind, and two moments of quality from Hexham winger Robbie Pattison, who played a more central attacking role alongside out-and-out striker, Kurtis Harvey.

On nine minutes, Pattison intercepted a Wallsend defender’s pass across the edge of his own box, before dispatching the ball past the keeper to make it 1-0.

Hexham were buoyed by their early goal, and on 21 minutes, Miguel Diaz Berenguer had a curling effort from all of 25 yards, which just cleared the crossbar.

Six minutes later, Diaz Berenguer went close with another effort, after linking up with Jordan Armstrong.

It wasn’t long before Hexham doubled their advantage. On 33 minutes, Will Forsyth drove a fierce free kick towards goal. The Wallsend keeper failed to hold the shot, and poacher Harvey was on hand to net the rebound.

Weather conditions were difficult for both teams, and on 38 minutes, Hexham defender Tom Hacking launched a free kick forward from the half way line. The ball caught the wind, and deceived the keeper to bounce up on to the bar. Pattison went close shortly afterwards, with a shot which clipped the outside of the post.

Armstrong then tried a shot from a central position just outside the box, but the keeper made a comfortable save.

Hexham keeper Tom Craney was called into action on 42 minutes after a spell of Wallsend pressure. He got down low to gather a shot from a forward. With half time approaching, a good move from Wallsend was effectively closed down by the Hexham defence, and a resulting shot was well held by Craney.

The Boys’ Club reduced the deficit on 69 minutes, courtesy of a well placed shot which curled inside the far post.

Hexham brought on the pacey Dylan Mabunu for the closing 15 minutes, and his energy in closing down the Wallsend defence paid dividends. He stole the ball from the keeper’s feet before crossing, but the threat was cleared. On 77 minutes, Hexham had a penalty appeal turned down, but they had to wait only a short while to secure the points. On 83 minutes, Mabunu and Sam Mannion combined effectively down the right. Mannion supplied the cross for Pattison to power home a header from five yards.