STRUGGLERS Scunthorpe were ruthlessly swept aside on Saturday, as Tynedale returned to winning ways with an eight try jamboree.

It was Tynedale’s first maximum points win since the beginning of November, after a run of just two wins in the last nine outings, and it took them to eighth in National League Division Two North.

It was a great day for flanker Ben Bell, who helped himself to three tries, as well as putting in a considerable shift in the tackling department, and there was also a brace for left wing Guy Pike.

Charlie Richards got through a lot of good work in the second row alongside Jonny Cousin, and Finlay Magowan also did well round the fringes.

Dan Lowdon put in some beefy tackles, while props Ben Haigh and Michael Hughes both impressed. It was also good to see Joe Mills back in action from the replacements’ bench.

The half back pairing of Matty Outson and Jake Rodgers again worked well, both scoring tries, with fly half Rodgers enjoying the perfect day with the boot, landing seven out of seven conversion attempts. As ever, Rob Parker impressed with some good runs from full back, and replacement Jonny Burden caught the eye when he came on.

Scunthorpe have struggled since winning promotion last term. But they played some good rugby, particularly at the line out, and their scrum was very solid.

Tynedale should have gone ahead in the first minute when a good break from Pike set up Haigh, but the prop went for the line with men outside him, and the chance was lost.

They did not have to wait long to go ahead though, as good pressure from a lineout saw Bell open his account from close range with just three minutes gone.,

A scintillating run from 22 to 22 by Parker failed to fulfil its promise, and centre Will Miller lost the ball over the line as Tynedale continued to press.

Tynedale extended their lead in the 19th minute, when a good line out catch by Magowan brought a driving maul, from which Outson dummied his way over virtually untouched.

Scunthorpe kept their heads up and were rewarded when a sweeping move from a lineout saw flanker Jacob Hardy pop up on the wing to gallop over in the corner to bring the score to 14-5.

An excellent break by centre Will Robinson had the Tynedale defence scrambling, but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

In first half injury time, powerful driving from a scrum saw Bell stretch over to make it 21-5 at the break.

Right wing Tom Bramwell secured the four try bonus point two minutes into the second half, after good work by Miller, and Rodgers got in on the act on 47 minutes after being set up by Outson, converting his own try for a 35-5 lead.

Bell completed his hat-trick following a slick handling move, involving Parker and Burden with 55 minutes gone.

Left wing Guy Pike rounded things off with two late tries the first converted by the immaculate Rodgers, but Parker was unable to improve the second.

Tynedale are off to Lancashire on Saturday, when they take on second-bottom Preston Grasshoppers.

Tynedale won the reverse fixture 34-5 and will be hoping to put more distance between themselves and the top of the drop zone.