THERE was double frustration for Haltwhistle Jubilee after their home game against Ellington was relocated - and then abandoned after 64 minutes.

The Jubes lined up at Haydon Bridge United’s Low Hall Park ground for the Northern Alliance Division Two clash due to a waterlogged section of the pitch at the Burn.

The league leaders were 5-0 up after 55 minutes, and looked to be cruising to yet another vital three points in their title challenge.

But with 26 minutes to play, the game was abandoned because excessive rainfall had made the pitch unplayable.

While manager Cameron Bell accepted that the match had to be stopped, he harboured hopes that the one-sided scoreline would stand.

“We found out on Monday that the game will have to be replayed,” he said. “It’s disappointing because we were five goals up, and if anything, we were more likely to add to our tally.

“There’s a lot of games to be played between now and the end of the season, so it will be another game to play which, ideally, we could have chalked off.

“But it’s just one of those things. We are grateful to Haydon Bridge for the use of their pitch and facilities. We made arrangements with them the previous Wednesday and did all we could to get the game played.”

Haltwhistle can take a lot of positives from the 64 minutes which went ahead. On a day of strong winds, they lost the toss and played into the wind during the first half.

Just two minutes in, Jack Barker beat the goalkeeper to a through ball and slotted home for an early lead. On 11 minutes, Scott Jacobsen’s penalty kick was saved, but it was retaken because of encroachment and the midfielder made no mistake with his second attempt to put his side in the driving seat.

Paul Wilson headed home from a long throw in, and Haltwhistle went into half time 3-0 up, despite increasing rainfall.

Kieran Robley found the corner of the net from 15 yards early in the second half, and Barker added his second on 55 minutes, picking out the top corner after cutting in from the left side.