TYNEDALE Ladies got back to winning ways in the Northumberland A League after two matches in two days.

They defeated Newcastle-based Medics III 5-3 in a re-arranged fixture, and with several key players unavailable, it was an opportunity toblood a few youngsters.

No fewer than five GCSE students were drafted into the side, and were all instrumental in a memorable victory.

Within three minutes, Tynedale took the lead as a powerful strike from Sarah Martindale from a penalty corner was deflected in by injector Sue Crawford.

Medics soon equalised as they took advantage of a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

On 26 minutes, a clever free hit saw a Medics defender deflect the ball in the circle onto the hand of Lizzie Scott, who diverted the ball into the net.

A deflection from the hand counts as part of the stick in hockey, so after some respectful discussion, the umpires correctly awarded the goal.

A minute later, Crawford scored her second goal of the game from another short corner routine.

The Medics pulled a goal back early in the second half, after a quick breakaway.

At 3-2 up, Tynedale were buoyed by some impressive interlinking passing from juniors Fran Dent and Hattie Brown.

Another effective direct strike from defender Martindale saw Tynedale further increase their lead to 4-2.

Medics continued to mount strong attacks forward, but the Tynedale defence held strong and cleared the ball with good effect. A great solo run from a Medics striker saw a tremendous goal reduce the deficit once again.

However, the fifth goal from Tyndale proved to be both decisive, and their most brilliant goal so far this season.

A free hit from defender Lorraine Bell found junior Jessie Coombe on the left. The following sequence interlinking of passes between Immie Pearson and Victoria Foster saw Rachael Little’s brilliant one touch pass release Pearson to score.

This was a well-deserved victory for Tynedale in tough weather conditions. Tynedale’s goalkeeper was voted player of the match.

It was the ideal response to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Newcastle University IIII, a day earlier.

Tynedale defended strongly during the first half against the University, with goalkeeper Nicky Baguley making some outstanding saves.

At 2-0 down, Tynedale pulled a goal back, after Pearson picked out Emma Anderson from a swiftly taken free hit. Anderson, who was playing with a broken thumb, fired a powerful shot home.

There were several notable individual performances. Lizzie Scott was player of the match.