Loughborough Students 46 Tynedale 14

INJURY ravaged Tynedale crashed to their third consecutive defeat when they were well beaten on Saturday by the students of Loughborough.

With an hour gone, Tynedale were trailing 41-0, and it took a couple of late tries to bring some respectability to the scoreboard.

The game marked the halfway point of the season, with Tynedale in eighth place in National League Division Two North, on 38 points.

The grim injury list before kick off soon got even worse, with full back Jack Outson forced off after just seven minutes, later to be followed by free scoring winger Guy Pike, prop Ben Haigh and second row Jonny Cousin.

Tynedale were already without the likes of full back Rob Parker, centre Will Miller, locks Chris Wearmouth, Graeme Dunn, and Harry Snowdon, and flanker Joe Mills.

The sick list resulted in several players playing out of position, with skipper Matty Outson forsaking his usual scrum half berth to play in the centre, having featured at fly half, and full back already this season.

Flanker Ben Bell found himself packing down in the second row, and Tynedale had two 19 year olds, Callum Pascoe and Will Haydon-Wood, at half back with 18 year old Seamus Hutton on the wing.

Loughborough went into the game on the back of a surprise defeat at lowly Huddersfield and made certain there would be no similar slip ups against Tynedale. Tynedale had already lost Jack Outson to injury, to be replaced by Rory Cramb, when the students took the lead on 14 minutes through right wing Will Brown, fly half Owen Waters converting,

Waters added a penalty on 24 minutes, and with number eight Ethan Clark in the sin bin, Loughborough extended their lead on 33 minutes when Brown grabbed his second try, improved by Waters for a 17-0 interval lead.

The students left wing Bamidele Fadahunsi got in on the act at the start of the second half, with tries on 42 and 45 minutes, one converted, to open up a 29-0 lead.

Tynedale then came more into the game, but were kept at bay, and Finlay Magowan became the second Tynedale player to be yellow carded. Brown completed his hat-trick on the hour, Waters converting, before full back Will Kaye took the score to 41-0 on 62 minutes.

Tynedale refused to let their heads drop, and on 69 minutes, they got off the mark with a try from Haigh, who injured himself in the act of scoring. Haydon Wood converted.

Fadahunsi became Loughborough’s second hat-trick hero on 72 minutes after a mesmerising handling move, but Tynedale had the last word when replacement John Clarkson crossed on 75 minutes, Haydon Wood converting.

Tynedale hope to stop the rot on Saturday when promoted Hull are the visitors. The Humbersiders will be looking to do the double over Tynedale, having won the reverse fixture 36-29. They lie two places and three points below Tynedale in the league table.The game kicks off at 2pm