Tynedale 14 Caldy 47

THERE was a strong sense of optimism at Corbridge on Saturday.

The sun beamed down on Tynedale Park on an uncharacteristically mild afternoon for the time of year.

And with conditions ideal for rugby, supporters made their way into the main stand full of festive cheer.

For Tynedale had nothing to lose as they welcomed Caldy, the impressive Wirral side who are yet to lose a game this season in National League Division Two North.

Ben Woods’ side started brightly against the league leaders, bombing forward with some good handling inside the Caldy half.

But they couldn’t find a way through, and the visitors took the lead after 14 minutes when winger Adam Aigbokhae seized possession from a line-out deep in Tynedale territory to accelerate over and touch down. Gavin Roberts added the extras.

Caldy added a second on 28 minutes. After a series of strong tackles from the home backs, Josiah Dickinson crashed over in the corner to break their resistance. Roberts converted and the visitors led 14-0 at half time.

Aigbokhae bamboozled the Tynedale defence with a tricky run down the right on 49 minutes, before passing inside for the pacy Nicholas Royal to score. Roberts again converted.

Aigbokhae crashed over between the posts on 57 minutes to score his second, and earn a bonus point try for Caldy. Roberts converted. Three minutes later, Benjamin Jones raced away to score down the left after receiving a pass from Royal. Roberts converted once again. Thomas Sanders scored an unconverted try on 62 minutes.

On 65 minutes, Tynedale eventually found a breakthrough when Fin Magowan powered his way through, before supplying Jonny Cousin who crashed over. Replacement Will Haydon-Wood added the extras.

On 71 minutes, Tynedale scored a second try after Guy Pike’s powerful 30-yard run down the left, before touching down. Haydon-Wood converted his second. Caldy’s Rhys Hayes scored a late try on 77 minutes which was also converted by Roberts.

Despite the result, this was a battling performance by Tynedale, who are eighth in the league. Caldy were worthy winners, but the hosts were duly rewarded for their endeavour with two second half tries. On Saturday, Tynedale travel to Leicestershire to take on fourth-placed a Loughborough Students.