Tynedale’s senior hockey team put Morpeth to the sword in a dominant 9-0 victory.

Both sides were greeted by challenging conditions on a wet day for the CDL fixture.

Home team Tynedale started strongly, with the defence of James Franklin, Sam Armstrong and John Barron having the measure of the Morpeth forwards, and keeping the play well away from goalkeeper Tim Lewis for large periods of the game.

Their opening goal came on the 10-minute mark when Hattie Brown was in the perfect position to convert at the left post, from a well-rehearsed penalty corner.

The Tynedale midfield of Brown, Tim Greaves, Tom Richardson and Oliver Christer began to dominate the middle of the pitch with some accurate passes and energetic movement.

Tyne got their second after gritty determination from Christer to win the ball on the left of midfield saw him release forward Ant Armstrong down the left with a terrific reverse stick pass into the path of the advancing winger.

Alex Timms was on hand to fire home from close range following Armstrong’s accurate cross. Armstrong scored himself on 18 minutes when he converted at the far post, after Timms and Tom Drake had combined well on the right.

A series of penalty corners resulted in two more goals for Tynedale before half time, one from Hawley following in to score from a shot by Sam Armstrong which had rebounded off the keeper. Then Brown was on hand again at the left post to sweep the ball home and finish off another well worked penalty corner.

The second half saw the Tynedale midfield and forward line begin to dominate.

Hawley scored his second to finish off a break down the middle, with a well-composed finish past the Morpeth keeper. Brown completed her first ever hat-trick, again on hand at the left post to slot home from another penalty corner.

Timms and Hawley combined superbly twice in quick succession to create time and space to be two-on-one with the keeper. Timms drew the keeper before squaring the ball to the unmarked Hawley to swipe the ball home from five yards. Shortly afterwards, Timms scored his second and his side’s eighth goal.

The best was yet to come for the hat-trick girl Brown, when she intercepted a clearance five minutes from time just inside the Morpeth 25-yard line. She carried the ball forward with confidence beating a defender as she drove forward into the Morpeth D.

Before the other defenders could close her down, she struck the ball with venom at chest height into the back of the net.

The four-goal Brown was awarded most significant player of the game after a memorable performance.