TWO goals in the space of three minutes sent Prudhoe YC Seniors through to the third round of the George Dobbins League Cup.

Ryan Burnyeat and Brad Rogers found the net within quick succession to put the Tyne Valley side in the driving seat against Northern Alliance Division One counterparts Rothbury, overcoming a late fightback to secure their route beyond the second round.

Prudhoe looked the most likely to break the deadlock in the opening period with Ben Bloomer coming close on two occasions, in the 25th and 28th minutes.

Burnyeat was the next to try his luck and he forced the Rothbury goalkeeper into a good save on the half hour mark.

The home side came back into the game and had two chances just before the break, but the stalemate could not be ended in the first 45 minutes.

The second half was just five minutes old when the deadlock was broken courtesy of a thumping header from Burnyeat.

He connected with a cross from Kieran Russel and his header from 15 yards left the home goalkeeper with no chance.

The lead was doubled just two minutes later after man of the match Darren Graham broke down the right. His pull back found Brad Rogers 25 yards out and the midfielder side footed his effort home.

While Rogers’ name has appeared on the scoresheet numerous times this season, it was his first goal from open play.

The result looked to have been wrapped up but Rothbury made a fist of things by pulling a goal back on 67 minutes.

Thomas White, Prudhoe’s 16-year-old goalkeeper, managed to get a hand to the effort but he was unable to stop it from going over the line.

With the wind in their sails, the hosts poured forward in search of an equaliser and, despite creating a couple of half chances, never really troubled Prudhoe.

On Saturday, second placed Prudhoe look to maintain their challenge at the top of Division One when they travel to bottom side Felling Magpies, who are still searching from their first point of the campaign. Three points for the Seniors could send them to top spot.