A SPECTACULAR nine try romp saw Tynedale crush bottom club Scunthorpe on Saturday to climb to seventh place in National League Division Two North.

It was Tynedale’s first maximum points win of the season as the Lincolnshire side were swept aside with ruthless efficiency.

They had the edge in both forwards and backs who produced some top class link play, with good support in all areas of the field..

There were two tries each for lock Chris Wearmouth, prop Ben Haigh and flanker Joe Mills, with hooker David Batey, number eight Ben Bell and winger Will Roberts also getting in on the act.

It was also a good afternoon for fly half Jake Rodgers, who converted seven of the nine tries.

Tynedale welcomed centre Will Miller to the fray for his first start of the season, after a five week spell on the naughty step, after being sent off in a pre-season friendly at Blaydon. His muscular presence stiffened up the back division.

Teenager Will Haydon Wood came in at full back for the injured Rob Parker.

Tynedale weathered an early Scunthorpe flurry before getting down to business, with Wearmouth forcing his way from close range after five minutes following forward pressure.

Rodgers was unable to convert, but just four minutes later he was on target from the tee after Haugh had squirmed over following more good work by the forwards. There was no respite for Scunthorpe as a fine run from left wing Guy Pike created the opportunity for Mills to grab the third try, converted by Rodgers to make it 19-0 with only 13 minutes gone.

The bonus point was in the bag on 24 minutes, when Haugh blasted in for his second try, this time unconverted.

Scunthorpe managed a rally, which saw left wing Colin Chapman go over just before half time, following good work by Tom Foster and Josh Bird, but Tynedale led 24-5 at the break.

The home side’s comeback continued early in the second half, when scrum half Bird scored a try converted by centre Will Robinson to make it 24-12.

Hopes of salvaging the game soon evaporated though as Tynedale ran in three more tries in quick succession,

Wearmouth got his second on 46 minutes, Batey following suit three minutes later before Mills completed his brace. All three tries were converted by Rodgers to take the score to 45-12 with 53 minutes gone.

Scunthorpe rallied again and Jack Walker scored out on the right in the 58th minute but two further scores from Bell on the hour and Roberts on 70 minutes set the seal on a satisfactory afternoon’s work. Tynedale return to Corbridge on Saturday. Their opponents will be Preston Grasshoppers, who like Tynedale have won two, drawn one and lost three.

The game kicks off at 3pm.