After amounting a huge points tally the previous week, Tynedale Centurions were on the wrong end of a high score game on Saturday, losing 61-12 to Newcastle Medicals’ Serpents.

Despite several injuries in the squad, Tynedale’s third XV still managed to take a squad of 16 players to Heaton. Unfortunately, only a handful of those were recognised three quarters, and this proved to be the major factor in the result.

The young student side were ruthless with any turnover ball. Small mistakes and, at times, some poor decision making by the visiting side, were punished by the home attack, including a couple of the Newcastle University first XV backs who used their pace and skill to devastating effect.

The Centurions were dominant in the forward battle with Jim Lamb, Rory Craney, the ever improving Ollie Shrimpton, and the ball carrying ability of Rob Earnshaw denying the students possession.

With Ian Charlton winning a good line-out ball, it was Tynedale who were on top in the early exchanges. Despite Ben Common, Callum Snowdon and Mark Smailes trying to take advantage of possession, the visitors were unable to make any breakthrough as the home side defended in numbers to snuff out any threat.

When the Medicals gained possession of the ball in the eighth minute, it led to the opening score. Attacking with speed alongside some good movement off the ball and support play, they managed to take the lead with the try being scored.

This set the tone for the first half, with three further unconverted tries coming from almost identical runs giving them a 20-0 advantage at the interval.

The second half began in similar fashion despite the defensive efforts of George Hendry and captain Jake Sloan, as with the turn around came two further tries, one of which was converted by the hosts.

The visiting side were rewarded for their hard work when, after good play by Jacob Brown, flanker Josh Turnbull charged over for a try, converted by scrum half Adam Binks to reduce the arrears.

The Medicals’ impressive centre who had been introduced at the break then took the game away from the Centurions, scoring three tries in quick succession, with two being converted, putting the result beyond doubt.

Still, Tynedale forwards were on top and after winning a strike following a scrum on the right, the impressive Turnbull picked up and charged over from the 22-metre line to round off a quality debut performance.

With tiring players on both sides, the extra pace and fitness of the home side began to tell and three further tries followed despite the last ditch attempts of Ryan Laverty and winger Andy Purvis to defend against the pacey centre and the supporting players.

The score gave the game a one sided appearance which was not always the case.