TYNEDALE Centurions started their season with an impressive 46-37 victory against a strong Ponteland II side.

The first half was evenly matched with both sides committed to attacking, running rugby.

Reduced to 14 men by an unlucky yellow card, and having to replace winger Rory Dixon, injured after a fine run took him close to scoring, the visitors managed to score twice.

Harry Remnant, a speedy full back with enormous potential, fielded a kick near his own line and set off on a mazy run to half way.

When held, the ball was recycled quickly, driven on by Toby Clifford and Rhys Loughead before Andy Harvey fed fly-half Ewan Morrell.

He danced and jinked before chipping the full-back to follow up and touch down.

Not to be outdone, Remnant followed up with a similar chip and chase try after a powerful break down the right Tom Shrimpton. Ponteland responded well and up to half time their powerful forwards drove over from close range to score two tries. That pressure also led to two successful close range penalties, which gave them a 16-10 lead at the break.

Shrimpton opened the scoring down the left wing in the second half after two surging runs by Loughhead supported by Adam Binks and Oliver Shrimpton.

Ponteland restored their lead with their own fine score before Martyn Hutton ran strongly to link with Morrell who scythed through to score his second. This signalled a 20 minute period when Tynedale raised their game and produced some outstanding rugby which was rewarded by four further tries.

Good work from Lewis Spark saw Fergus Spencer release Jamie Dixon, who fed the pacey Remnant to run in. The same player then completed his hat trick with an outstanding 50 metre effort from half way along the left touchline. Skipper Jake Sloan went on a daring run from his own line to reach half way.

He fed Morrell who showed a another real turn of pace to land his own treble.

Dixon then scored his own try after a eye-deceiving switch with Morrell in midfield. Dixon (2) and Morrell (1) managed to land conversions which took the score to 46-23.

This period of domination was limited and several Centurions tired badly and once again the pendulum swung Ponteland’s way.

In the last 10 minutes they scored two converted tries, and had it not been for try saving tackles from Jeff Wheallans and Callum Foxcroft and exhausting defensive shifts from James Sample and Rob Earnshaw plus a late flurry from Rory Craney, the result may well have been different.

This was a positive start to the season for the Centurions.