A DOMINANT second half performance saw Prudhoe YC Seniors cruise into the second round of the Reeves Independent George Dobbins League Cup.

The seniors ran out 8-3 winners against FC United of Newcastle on the 4G pitch at Prudhoe High School, to set up a second round tie away to Rothbury, on October 26.

It was a classic game of two halves. The first half was a thrilling one, with no shortage of goals and attacking football.

Prudhoe found themselves 3-2 down, and had goalkeeper Sean Brown to thank for three vital saves during the opening period.

But the game, between two Northern Alliance Division sides, changed after the break.

The visitors seemed to tire, and Prudhoe, armed with a strong substitutes bench, introduced fresh legs to great effect.

Prudhoe club secretary Duncan Graham said: “It was a tight first half. It was an entertaining game with good goals scored by both teams. We went 3-2 down and at that stage we certainly didn’t look like winning by such a margin.”

Steven Forster and Aron Fletcher both scored two each for Prudhoe. Harry Mitchell, Darren Graham, Luke Banks and Ryan Burnyeat also got themselves on the scoresheet.

The 23-year-old Burnyeat capped an impressive performance with the man of the match award.

“We were excellent in the second half. FC United went down to 10 men with about 10 minutes to go,” added Graham. “That didn’t help their cause, but it also doesn’t take anything away from our performance because we were dominant in that second half.”

The cup victory was a welcome return to winning ways for Prudhoe, following a 2-1 defeat at Seaton Burn in their previous outing in the league.

Nevertheless, they have made a steady start to the season, winning four of their opening eight league fixtures, and scoring 21 league goals.

On Saturday, they will take on Wallsend Boys Club in the Team Valley Carpets Combination Cup. Originally a home tie, Prudhoe will play the game away from home because their Kimberly Park ground is being used by Northern League side Newcastle University.