TYNEDALE are still searching for their first win of the season after being edged out by Hull in a close and exciting encounter on the Humber.

It was Tynedale’s second successive narrow defeat at the hands of a newly promoted side, but they played well for the most part, and ran in five tries.

Number eight Ben Bell and right wing Guy Pike both took their respective tallies for the season to three tries, and replacement Joe Richards also opened his account.

After a strong start, Tynedale were reeled in by the Humbersiders, and spent much of the game playing catch-up, but their two point haul was a reasonable reward from their first away game.

Tynedale had a dream start, catching the opening kick off to camp on the Hull line for a lengthy spell.

Hull were eventually penalised, and from the touch kick, Tynedale’s polished catch and drive routine ended with a try for Pike with five minutes gone.

Things got even better in the 14th minute, when Bell charged down an attempted clearance before gathering the ball and strolling in for another unconverted try to make it 10-0 with 14 minutes gone.

Hull fought back well though,and from a scrum in the middle of the field, a strong run brought a try for centre Stephen Johnson, converted by fly half Simon Humberstone.

A Humberstone penalty on 23 minutes brought the scores level, before Tynedale stretched away again, with a penalty scrum bringing Bell his second try for a 15-10 lead.

Tynedale then paid the penalty for trying to run the ball out of their own 22, a careless pass setting up a Hull attack, which eventually brought a try for left wing Keane Naylor. Humberstane’s conversion gave Hull a slender 17-15 interval lead.

Disaster struck four minutes into the second half, when Tyne again lost possession, leading to a prolonged assault on their own line, which ended with Hull being awarded a penalty try, and skipper and scrum half Matty Outson being sent to the sin bin.

Undeterred, Tynedale went on the attack, and some slick interplay at a line out saw Pike get clear for his second try, converted by Jake Rodgers to bring the score to 24-22.

However, it was Hull’s turn to stretch away, which they did with Johnson’s second try on 57 minutes being followed by another from skipper Alexander Heard two minutes later.

That opened up a 36-22 lead, which Hull defended well, until replacement Joe Richards, on for Jonny Cousin, got Tynedale’s fifth try on 68 minutes, converted by Rodgers.

Tynedale will look for that elusive first win of the season on Saturday, when Otley are the visitors to Corbridge. The Yorkshire side are also looking for their first win, after losing at Wharfedale and drawing at home to Huddersfield. The game kicks off at 3pm.