TYNEDALE ended a see-saw season with their second home draw of the season on Saturday.

The final score of 24-24 against a strong Hinckley outfit left Tynedale in fifth place in National League Division Two North, just one place below last season’s finishing spot.

Despite the encouraging presence of one of the biggest crowds of the season, the game was a lacklustre affair, with Tynedale only really coming to life in 10 minute spells either side of half time.

They seemed to be heading for a maximum points win to avenge the 45-31 defeat at Hinckley’s hands in the opening game of the season when they led 24-12 with just seven minutes left.

However, Hinckley pulled a score back, and then, a robust tackle by centre Will Miller, who had otherwise been outstanding, was adjudged dangerous by referee Michael Harris. The Cumbrian was sent to the sin bin, leaving Tynedale with just 14 men.

As the game went into injury time, the visitors mounted a solid attack, and winger Callum Dacey managed to force his way over to bring the scores level.

The relatively straightforward conversion would have given the Leicestershire side a barely deserved victory. Try scorer Dacey took the kick himself - but his effort was closer to the corner flag than the crossbar. The referee immediately blew for time, and both sides seemed satisfied with their two points haul.

Loose head prop Richie Elliot made his final appearance for Tynedale. Elliot, who will return to his native Alnwick, has been an outstanding performer for several seasons, and is a strong contender for player of this campaign.

A late injury to scrum half Cam Kelemeti meant Tynedale coach Ben Woods had to shuffle his pack, with skipper Matty Outson moving from fly half to don the number nine shirt, and Ben Hutton coming off the bench as stand off.

The first half was dominated by Hinckley, who penned Tynedale in their own half for long periods, starving them of possession and hammering at the line. What possession Tynedale got they kicked away, and it came as no surprise when on 12 minutes, a chip ahead was juggled by Hinckley, before number eight Alex Salt eluded the Tynedale defence to score. Joe Wilson added the conversion.

The visitors continued to press and were rewarded on 20 minutes when fly half Rory Vowles wriggled over for the second try, which went unconverted.

Little was seen of Tynedale as an attacking force until the 37th minute, when a tap penalty by the excellent Outson brought good support from Miller and Will Montgomery before the ball was knocked on for a five metre scrum to Hinckley.

However, the Tynedale pack produced a tremendous shove to push Hinckley off their own ball and number eight Joe Mills touched down for the try.

Full back Jake Edwards converted for 12-7, and virtually straight from the restart, Tynedale got a five metre line-out, which brought a good catch from Ben Bell. In the ensuing drive, lock Chris Wearmouth got the second try to bring the scores level.

The half ended with a yellow card for Hinckley’s talented full back Aaron Phillip, and Tynedale used their extra man to good effect.

Just two minutes into the second half, teenage winger Will Roberts pounced on a chip from Outson and raced up the left wing to touch down in the corner, for an unconverted try.

Just three minutes later, a collision on halfway sent the ball loose, and Montgomery was there to gallop up the same wing to score nearer the posts. Rodgers’ conversion took the score to 24-12, and the game seemed in the bag for Tynedale.

However, Hinckley reasserted themselves when back to full strength. In the 73rd minute, visiting winger Ryan Hough escaped some half-hearted tackling to score near the posts. Wilson converted to reduce Tynedale’s lead to five.

Then came Miller’s yellow card for a tackle that looked worse than it actually was was, and deep into injury time, Dacey scored the equalising try.