TYNEDALE’S six month run of home successes came to a juddering halt on Saturday when they were blown off course by a patched up Huddersfield outfit.

They were edged out by a single point, scored in the seventh minute of added on time, after Tynedale had appeared to have won the game with a late score of their own.

The 15-14 defeat for Tynedale was dominated by a stiff breeze, and the shrill whistle of referee Ben Davis who incurred the wrath of the Tynedale faithful by failing to spot home lock Chris Wearmouth touching down for what could have been a match winning try.

The official was unsighted, and without benefit of video assistance, was unable to award the score.

The match was Tynedale’s game in hand, on what should have been a rest day, and as a consequence, key players Guy Pike and Will Miller were not there, having made arrangements to see England meet Scotland in the Calcutta Cup at Twickenham.

Ben Beaumont moved from full back to the left wing, with Liam Checksfield coming into the centre, while fly half Rob Parker moved to full back, allowing skipper Matty Outson to don the number 10 shirt, with Cam Kelemeti at scrum half.

But Huddersfield too were below strength, with 13 first teamers unavailable for various reasons, and they came to Corbridge on the back of a run of three straight defeats.

The first half was something of a non event, as Tynedale failed to make effective use of the wind to put the Yorkshiremen under pressure.

They did manage to get over the line for Wearmouth’s try that never was, but while they huffed and puffed, they were held at bay by some tough Huddersfield tackling, aided by some wild passing and careless knock-ons.

The only score of the half came on 34 minutes, when Mr Davis spotted a Tynedale offence at a scrum on the edge of their own 22, and Huddersfield fly half Chris Johnson wobbled the penalty over into the teeth of the gale to give the visitors a 3-0 half-time lead.

The same player doubled the lead a minute into the second half with a long range penalty, but points remained at a premium until the 69th minute, when a rare visit to the Huddersfield 22 brought a penalty to touch five metres out.

From the line out, the excellent lock Graeme Dunn gathered the ball, and the forwards surged over the line, with prop Liam Carmichael getting the touchdown. Full back Rob Parker converted to put Tynedale in front for the first time, at 7-6.

However, the deadly Johnson could do no wrong from the tee, and rattled over two long range penalties in the space of three minutes to give his side a 12-7 advantage,

But Tynedale never give up, and deep into injury time, good foraging work close to the line by Wearmouth and Dunn ended with Kelemeti darting in for a try to bring the scores level. Parker’s conversion made it 14-12 four minutes into injury time, but Mr Davis conjured up still more added on time.

Huddersfield were awarded a penalty 45 metres out, and up stepped Johnson to rifle the ball home with the last kick of the match, to the dismay of the Tynedale's players and followers.

Tynedale will visit Leicester Lions on Saturday, looking to complete the double over opponents they defeated 32-17 in November.