TYNEDALE Centurions suffered cup semi-final heartache at the hands of Ashington.

The two sides met in perfect weather conditions in a match which ebbed and flowed, before the visitors won 36-32, with the decisive try coming with five minutes left on the clock.

The home side took the lead in the fifth minute when Callum Snowden scored in the right hand corner.

After good play by Dave Nicholls and Andy Harvey, the ball was moved along the line for the back rower to go over unopposed.

The visitors then took the lead with two unconverted tries, which showed that the home defence were going to be tested by the strong, direct running Ashington side.

Eight minutes before half time, the home side drew level through centre Ben Common.

Olly Murrell and Jason Armstrong linked up and provided a pass for fly half Roko to make a break, before Common finished off the move.

After half time, following breaks by Mark Smailes, Chris Nicholls, and Jake Sloan, second row Olly Hillary showed his class by charging over to give Tynedale the lead.

Winger Tom Shrimpton then chased a long crossfield kick to extend the Centurions advantage to 10 points, beating his opposite number to collect the ball and touch down wide on the left.

Just as it looked as though Tynedale had gained the upper hand, some poor defending allowed the Colliers back into the game with a converted try.

A second try by Tom Shrimpton, following good play from Andy Neal, Ollie Shrimpton and Owen Shield, gave Tynedale an eight point lead.

But Ashington struck back once again, and despite Paddy Hay and Ryan Laverty making good tackles, the visitors scored a try which was converted to bring them within one point of the lead.

The home side scored with classy forward Joe Johnson crossing the line to score for the Centurions, and Harvey converted.

Ashington came roaring back again, however, and took advantage of poor defending to score an unconverted try.

And with five minutes remaining, they scored again, with the tiring Tynedale side unable to prevent the strong running centre giving Ashington a winning try, which this time was converted.