DESPITE a dramatic final few minutes, Tynedale extended their winning home record to seven on the bounce on Saturday, with a thrilling 25-22 victory over Otley in National League Division Two North.

Yet another hat-trick of tries from powerful winger Morgan Passman seemed to have set Tynedale on the road to victory as they led a strong Otley side 22-8 with just 15 minutes to go. But the Yorkshiremen brought the game level with two converted tries in 10 minutes.

Tynedale edged back in front with a penalty with four minutes remaining, but then conceded a penalty themselves right in front of the posts.

A draw seemed inevitable, but Otley spurned the simple three points which would have earned them a share of the spoils, in a bid to win the game.

They won a line-out, and then pounded the Tynedale line with a series of surging forward drives, each repulsed by last-ditch Tynedale defending. Finally they forced their way over, but referee Benjamin Davis ruled the ball had been held up, and blew for time on a maximum points win for Tynedale.

After a dour first half, the second period was an absolute cracker with both sides giving their all. Tynedale retained the half back partnership of Cam Kelemeti at scrum half, and skipper Matty Outson at stand off, and it worked exceptionally well.

Indeed, all the Tynedale backs impressed, with centres Jonny Burden and Liam Checksfield proving the perfect complement

to Passman’s power, and the darting runs of Guy Pike.

Regular hooker David Batey was absent with a bad back, but Gareth Black deputised well in an accomplished pack, which coped admirably with the powerful Otley forwards.

Tynedale started brightly, pinning Otley in their own 22 for the opening period, and they took a deserved lead on 16 minutes when a good break by Kelemeti opened up the defence, and Passman muscled his way over wide out for the opening try,

The second quarter belonged to Otley though, as they started to ask questions of the Tynedale defence, but all they had to show before half time was a penalty by fly half Ben Smith.

The visitors opened the second half well, and went ahead when left wing Alex Beaumont finished off a good handling move in the corner for an 8-5 lead.

After absorbing further pressure, Tynedale reasserted themselves, and after a foot in touch had denied Passman his second try, he came in off his wing to go over close to the posts after 57 minutes, following good work from the forwards.

Outson converted, and three minutes later they were over again when lock Chris Wearmouth finished off a magnificent drive from a line-out to make it 17-8.

And with 67 minutes gone, the game seemed to be in the bag when a superb crosskick from Outson found Passman pirouetting over for the bonus point try for a 22-8 advantage taking his personal try tally for the season to 22.

But Otley refused to lie down, with centre Tom de Glanville taking advantage of a spilled ball in the Tynedale 22 to pull one try back, before a cruel bounce allowed full back Ben Magee to touch down. Replacement Joe Rowntree’s conversion brought the scores level at 22-22.

With four minutes remaining, Outson landed a penalty to edge Tyndale back in front. Then came the closing drama which was a fitting conclusion to a fine game. Tynedale are at home to bottom club Peterborough Lions on Saturday. The re-arranged fixture which will off at 2pm.