WALLINGTON’S unbeaten run continued on Saturday with an impressive away win at high-flying Newcastle Blue Star.

But the 2-0 victory in the Northern Alliance Premier Division was far from routine for the Scots Gap side.

For third-placed Newcastle missed a penalty on 65 minutes, before the visitors took advantage of strong winds during an eventful final 15 minutes, when goals from Jake Walton and Micky Angus sealed a win which will live long in the memory.

Blue Star played with the confidence which has led them into the top three. Playing with the wind on their backs, the hosts dominated the opening 25 minutes.

Wallington conceded several corners but weathered the storm and made it to the interval with the score goalless.

In the second period, Newcastle had a lot of ball but there wasn’t a great deal of goalmouth action until the 65th minute, when a controversial penalty was awarded.

Much to the visitors’ relief, the spot kick was fired high and wide.

Wallington midfielder Kyle Reardon said: “One of our lads carried the ball out of defence, and there looked to be a blatant foul on him.

“But the referee played on, and their player ran into the box and was fouled himself. It was a definite penalty, but we believe the game should have been stopped in the build-up to it.”

Wallington introduced 17-year-old substitute Simon Farrier to their forward line. The youngster was full of running, and his high pressing gave the home defenders precious little time on the ball.

Farrier’s intensity galvanised Wallington, and on 75 minutes, Walton won the ball 30 yards from goal. He advanced five paces forward and unleashed a wind-assisted drive high into the net.

After winning several headers and throw ins, Farrier won a free-kick high up on the left side of the field.

From the set-piece, Micky Angus’ inswinging cross flew into the net at the near post.

Reardon added: “With the wind, the weather conditions worked in our favour in the second half, but this was a great win for us.

“Our two centre halves Jonny Edwards and Josh Laverick both played really well, and Aaron Carr made some vital saves in goal, despite hurting his foot while making a save during the first half.”

After losing their opening five games and dropping out of all cup competitions, Wallington have lost just once since September in the league, and are now up to fifth.