TYNEDALE’s run of good results came to a halt amidst appalling weather conditions in Yorkshire. 
For the first time this season, they failed to score a single try as they were ground down by Wharfedale in National League Two North. 

All they had to show for a gruelling afternoon’s work was a lone penalty from Rob Parker early in the second half.

Tynedale’s cause was not helped when they lost influential skipper Matty Outson to a back injury after just 12 minutes, and they also picked up a couple of yellow cards.

The visitors welcomed back the free-scoring Morgan Passman on the wing, and Ben Beaumont at full back, but this was not a day for speed merchants.

They also missed the wholehearted endeavour of Joe Mills from the back row.

The cold, wet and windy conditions did not suit Tynedale’s preferred running game. 

In true Yorkshire style, Wharfedale warmed to the occasion, outplaying Tynedale in all departments.
The blue and whites found very little joy in the line-outs, and struggled for any sort of decent possession throughout.

They tackled well enough, and kept the ball well on the few occasions they had any possession, but it was not enough. 

While never looking like winning the game, Tynedale defended well in the second half to deny the Greens a winning bonus point. 

In the 15th minute, Wharfedale were in front, when fly half Jack Blakeney-Edwards landed a penalty.
Tynedale were soon defending again, and were unable to cope with a forward drive from a five metre scrum. 

They could only halt it illegally, with referee Ben Rayner having no hesitation in handing Wharfedale the seven points for a penalty try, which took the the score to 10-0 with 20 minutes gone.

The Greens extended their lead to 13-0 right on half time with Blakeney-Edwards potting his second penalty.

There was a flicker of hope for Tynedale four minutes into the second half when Parker stroked over a penalty and for a while, they looked as though they might make a game of it.

But then Wharfedale closed the door when scrum half Sam Gaudie was fed the ball on the outside, and darted in to touch down with 50 minutes gone.

Blakeney-Edwards’ conversion attempt struck both post and crossbar before bouncing to safety, but Wharfedale had already done enough.

When Outson’s replacement Cam Kelemeti picked up Tynedale’s second yellow, the flame of optimism was doused in the mud.

The result saw Tynedale drop two places to 10th in North Division Two. 

But they will hope to get back to winning ways on Saturday when bottom club Peterborough Lions come to Corbridge. 

Last season’s Midlands premiership runners-up, the Lions were promoted after winning a play-off against Hull RUFC and have found life at this level somewhat hard going so far, especially away from home.

However, they ended their home programme for 2018 with a 28-27 win over Sheffield Tigers. 

The game will mark the midway point of Tynedale’s season. They have won six and drawn one of their 14 games so far. Kick off is at 2pm.