THE pantomime season came early to Corbridge on Saturday, with a comedy of errors affecting both teams.

Most of the tries came from comical howlers, but it was Tynedale who had the last laugh by winning back-to-back games for the first time this season.

Their second successive five points haul lifted them to a comfortable mid-table berth in North Division Two, and extended their impressive home record to four wins and a draw from six games.

While never a classic, with Black Friday weekend giveaways abounding, there was still plenty to warm the spectators on a brutally cold afternoon.

It was another good day for Tynedale right wing Morgan Passman, who added two more tries to the three he scored the previous week, and there was also a brace for opposite wing Guy Pike.

The line-out occasionally creaked, but the forwards generally played well, with prop Richie Elliott and flanker Rob Farras particularly impressive.

Rob Parker fizzed and crackled at fly half, while Ben Beaumont also had a good game at full back.

Tynedale got off to a fine start, when skipper Matty Outson chipped over the defence with just two minutes gone. A defender gathered the ball on his own line, but then allowed the ball to slip from his grasp, and Pike pounced on the loose ball to open the scoring.

Four minutes later, Tynedale failed to find touch, and after a heavy collision in midfield, right wing Sam Benjamin sliced through the Tynedale defence for an unconverted try which brought the scores level.

Talented Lions full back Alex Wilcockson took advantage of slack passing by Tynedale on 18 minutes, to pluck a floated pass out of the air close to halfway, and race in unchallenged to register the third unconverted try to give the visitors a 10-5 lead.

The lead lasted just three minutes, before a series of hot potato juggles and fumbles in the Lions defence allowed Pike to pounce for his second try, with Parker adding the extras.

Centre Harry Key missed a penalty for the Lions before Cam Kelemeti, playing out of position in the centre, made a telling break which allowed Passman to roar down the wing to score in the corner. But the errors kept coming, and when Tynedale again failed to find touch, the Lions came roaring back at them and giant lock Ed Sumpter battered his way over for a try, converted by Key to bring the scores level at 17-17 with 35 minutes gone.

But on the stroke of half time, a fine line-out leap by Harry Snowdon set up a driving maul which ended with hooker David Batey grabbing the bonus point try, and sending Tynedale in at half time with a 24-17 lead.

Tynedale should have extended their lead four minutes into the second half when good pressure put Kelemeti in the clear, but the unfortunate teenager dropped the ball.

It wasn’t until the 65th minute that Tynedale got the scoreboard moving again, with Parker slotting a penalty when the Lions were offside

With five minutes left, Passman sprinted clear for his second try to wrap things up at 32-17.

Tynedale are on their travels again on Saturday, with a trip to Yorkshire to take on Sheffield Tigers.