A HOUSE at Langley has been struck by lighting for the third time – blasting off the chimney stack and roof slates.

But occupant Bryan Calvert (79) was not surprised or alarmed when the gable end of his home was struck during an electric storm in the early hours of last Sunday morning.

For the pensioner was living in the same detatched property 42 years ago, when it was struck twice during the hot summer of 1976.

“I wasn’t particularly alarmed,” he said. “There’s not a lot you can do.

“We’re quite high up in terms of our location at Langley, but you don’t expect lightning to strike twice, never mind three times at the same location.

“It struck the gable end of the house, above where I was sleeping.

“There was a lot of noise, but once the storm calmed down I just went back to bed.

“I didn’t realise how much damage had been done until I got up on Sunday morning.”

The lightning strike shattered the 2ft 6in tall chimney stack, and also removed several large roof slates.

“My four-year-old sheepdog Ned didn’t like it,” said Mr Calvert. “He got a bit worked up.”

The retired lecturer had not long lived at the property when it was struck twice by lightning in 1976.

He added: “Back then the storms were more violent.

“In 1976 the lightning flew in through the kitchen and the whole house was shaking. Strangely though, more damage was caused this time.”