Northumberland Police have announced today (Tuesday) that two men, Daniel Graham, 38, and Adam Carruthers, 31, from the Carlisle area, have been charged with criminal damage to the tree.

They have both also been charged with criminal damage to Hadrian’s Wall and will appear at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on May 15.

After this breaking news, we thought we would put together key points leading up to this event.

September 27 - 28

Between September 27 and 28 of this year, the Sycamore Gap tree near Hexham was felled.

Millions of people woke up that morning to hear about the news. A  few rumours about how the tree had fallen flew around social media until Northumbria police and the National Trust confirmed it had been illegally felled.

In a statement, Northumberland National Park Authority said: "Northumberland National Park Authority can confirm that sadly, the famous tree at Sycamore Gap has come down overnight. We have reason to believe it has been deliberately felled.

"We are working with the relevant agencies and partners interested in this iconic North East landmark and will issue more details once they are known.

"Sycamore Gap was voted English Tree of the Year in 2016 in the Woodland Trust’s awards and is much-loved by people from across the world.

"Northumberland National Park Authority would like to ask the public not to visit the site at this time whilst we work with our partners to identify what has happened and to make the site safe."

Later that month, police confirmed that a 16-year-old and a man in his 60s were arrested and bailed in connection with the vandalism of a Sycamore tree.

October 12

On October 12, the 50-foot iconic Sycamore Gap was removed from its resting place near Hadrian's Wall and moved to a safe location.

The day-long careful operation was successful, and the tree was supervised by site owners National Trust as it was moved to a safe storage site.

October 31

On Tuesday, October 31, officers arrested two men in their 30s in connection with the incident.


In December, some positive news was announced as the National Trust said that the cuttings taken from the fallen tree are viable for propagation. It is also believed that the tree of the original trunk could regrow, but it could take up to three years before we know if this is possible.

The National Trust also invited the public to submit their photos and memories of the tree to These recollections will add to the hundreds of messages and memories shared in a temporary reflection space opened in the immediate aftermath of the felling at The Sill: National Landscape Discovery Centre.

Police also released an update on their investigation.

Two men in their 30s remain on police bail, and a man – in his 60s – previously arrested on suspicion of criminal damage will now face no further action by police.

Police are still investigating the crime and ask the public to avoid speculation on social media.


Two men in their 30s had their police bail further extended