CHILDREN from a Bellingham school affected by flooding sat their exams in the town hall.

Year 6 pupils doing their KS2 Sats completed the tests out of the school after heavy rainfall earlier in May.

Sats are used to measure children’s English and maths skills and consist of six papers which last between 30 minutes and an hour.

Both Bellingham Middle and Primary, both on Redesmouth Road, suffered flood damage and have been using local community buildings for learning and have been taking part in outdoor activities. Some pupils have been taught remotely during disruption.

Both schools have said on social media how well supported they have been by the local community, parents, staff and the authority.

Popular Hareshaw Linn waterfall route, which was closed by the Northumberland National Park Authority (NNPA), because of damage also remains closed.

However, a spokesperson for the organisation said: "NNPA is hoping to reopen access to the picnic area for the May Bank Holiday weekend. This is subject to the availability of contractors and materials. 

"Hareshaw Linn waterfall is one of Northumberland’s most popular walking routes, much-loved by the local community and by visitors to Northumberland.

"NNPA and its partners are in the process of assessing the damage and what work needs to happen so the site can fully reopen.

"All of the work that needs to take place is either within a Scheduled Ancient Monument or SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) therefore, appropriate consents/assents must be required through Historic England and Natural England before any work can start.

"Work further along the path where the two large landslips have taken place is expected to take longer.

"NNPA and Northumberland County Council have inspected the landslips for safety purposes and to help inform the specification required to fix the two areas. Once these specifications are complete, NNPA will apply for an SSSI assent from Natural England to start this work."

Work to fix smaller issues on the route has been completed.

All roads in and out of the village were impassable for several hours, television satellite signals were lost and some saw brief power outages.