Despite currently sitting in mid-table, Ponteland United have already shown several moments of potential in the stop-start 2020/21 Northern Football Alliance season.

United see themselves lying eighth in the table after eight games played so far this season, although have regularly challenged – and beaten - teams currently sitting higher in the league.

After narrowly losing out in their opening game of the season 4-3 against Winlaton Vulcans, Ponteland claimed a fine victory in match two against Cullercoats.

The 1-0 victory for the hosts also meant getting the better of current Golden Glove leader Daniel Gladstone, with the ‘keeper having only conceding 15 goals all season at a rate of just 1.36 per match.

Another win for the Callerton Lane based squad followed, this time at the expense of another frontrunning team – Seaton Delaval AFC - with the high scoring encounter ending 3-2 in the home side’s favour.

They could not however build on this momentum in game four of the year against Newcastle Chemfica, as the travelling team claimed a 4-2 win in late September.

Next up saw Ponteland take a break from league action in the form of the Northumberland FA Les Todd Senior Benevolent Bowl, where they got the better of fellow Premier Division side Wallington in a tense penalty shootout after the game ended 2-2.

They returned to league competition a week later, although fell to another defeat – this time at the hands of Gateshead Rutherford AFC - with a score line of 3-2.

Again however, the team came back fighting next time out and would go on to win their next two matches, despite the results were several weeks apart.

Firstly, they went on to defeat Percy Main Amateurs 3-1 at home in mid-October after another solid display, before the season was temporarily halted due to the Covid-19 restrictions that came into force.

That delay didn’t stop the team when the action resumed however, as Ponteland travelled to Newcastle Blue Star to claim another victory, this time with the score finishing 2-1.

Three weeks later the team then faced another of the teams currently above them in the league – Blyth United – although they couldn’t get the better of the travelling side and lost the game 3-2 after yet another close battle.