MAKING the switch to 3G to enable a return to action, Hexham Lionhearts U14 bravely fought on their travels away to Heaton Hawks.

They got off to a flyer too as they took an early lead after just five minutes, a driving attack by Eve C on the right wing picking out Betsy S who darted into the box and fired the ball home with conviction.

Hexham's passing game had them asking many questions of their hosts, but it was the Hawks' fire power which saw them take a lead into the half time break.

Again, the Lionhearts continued to impress after the restart but it was Hawks who came away with the victory, Hexham kept at bay despite creating a number of chances.

The opposition named Betsy as the Lionheart's player of the match for a tireless and attacking performance in midfield, numerous amazing long throws into the box, robust defending when needed, and a goal to boot.

Hexham Porto U14 competed well against visitors Benfield Azzuri but ended up on the wrong end of the scoreline.

While Porto caused problems in attack, their defence and stand-in goalkeeper Oli Furness had to be on their guard to restrict Benfield's pacey attack.

Porto took the lead courtesy of an excellent free kick by captain Taylor Milton which led to an own goal.

Benfield found three goals to forge ahead but a goal from Max Gradwell had Hexham back in it, with a great save from the Azzuri keeper preventing Will Kidman from levelling the scores.

Hexham Greens U17 exacted their revenge on Ryton who inflicted a first defeat of the season on them by recording a 3-1 victory.

Matty Kilby controlled an astute pass from Will Burns and swivelled to fire home the opener after just five minutes, with goalkeeper Joe Ferguson keeping them ahead with a string of top saves.

The Greens went 2-0 up before half time with Kilby turning provider this time, a diagonal ball over the top finding Dan Simpson who outpaced his marker and fired home. Two became three on the hour when Simpson was fouled as he looked set to make it 3-0, Kilby stepping up and sending home the resulting penalty. While Ryton hit a consolation, it was a good day for Hexham who had Simpson named as man of the match.