Sixty-nine homes were without power after an electrical fire in a Tyne Valley town.

Emergency services attended the South Road area of Prudhoe on Saturday, November 14 after reports of sparks and flames coming from a local electricity pole just after 7pm.

A spokeswoman for Northumberland Fire and Rescue service confirmed a crew from Prudhoe were mobilised and monitored the pylon, but no fire-fighting action was required, and that Northern Powergrid took control over the incident.

The electrical specialists later confirmed the fire had been caused by a fault on a section of the local electricity network.

A Northern Powergrid spokeswoman said: “We dispatched our team immediately to investigate. At 7.19pm, the safety fuse activated, safely isolating power supplies and extinguishing the fire.

“Our team kept local residents next to the affected area informed.

“We are grateful for their patience and understanding, while we worked to safely restore customers’ power by 1.10am.

“No-one was injured and we’d like to reassure customers that situations such as this are not common occurrences, and our teams are always ready to respond and support our customers and the local communities we serve.”

Access was temporarily blocked to neighbouring Hilcrest and traffic lights put in place.