HEXHAM Greens U17 came away with a huge three points in the race for the Premier League title.

After four games, it’s a little early to call it a title decider, but the boys certainly knew the significance of the game having been beaten in pre-season by the hosts.

In an entertaining opening, the Greens thought they’d gone behind when Josh Walker cleared twice from off the line, with the home side celebrating but the referee said it hadn’t crossed the line.

Still reeling, the Greens countered at Bluestar and Dan Simpson was felled in the box. Matty Kilby obliging from the spot.

The Greens then stepped up a gear, scoring two excellent team goals. The first from Kilby again, running between the defenders slotting in from an Ollie Scott cross.

He then turned provider for Jacob Bradley, who notched his first and the Greens third.

Matty then completed his first half hat trick, beating a defender and keeper for pace from a before lifting the ball over the pair of them from an acute angle.

Bluestar hit back before half time to keep the Greens on their toes however it was the Greens who started the second half the brighter. Kilby chasing down a lost cause in the corner and coming up with the ball. He squared to Bradley who made it five.

From then on in, the quality of the pitch spoiled the second half with neither side able to produce and real quality. Bluestar hit three further goals from defensive slips and a penalty but the Greens always looked comfortable.

Bradley hit a distanced drive into the roof of the net to kill the game off and send the Greens two points clear with a game in hand.

The man of the match award was shared by Will Burns, Jacob Bradley and Matty Kilby.

An excellent team performance from Hexham Porto U14 against a strong Newcastle City Juniors team who have been an established Premiership team for a number of years.

Unfortunately another good performance without points but this team is really getting the respect it deserves as we become difficult to beat. Porto created chances in both halves and a number of half chances.

That said, Hexham keeper James Craig was in good form along with some excellent team defending kept us in the game. Unfortunately an early goal to the visitors the difference after good work down the right from City Juniors striker played a ball across the 6 yard box and was put away at the back post.

After that, Porto had good chances to equalise in both halves but despite good pressure could not find an equaliser.

Porto can take some pride in the performance and hopefully some confidence and belief that they belong in this top Division.

Hexham Rapid U15 advanced to the semi-final of the League Cup with a good win that owed much to a fast start with four goals scored in the first 20 mins.

Both strikers, Jude Lee and Alex Collins scored a brace.

Rothbury recovered well and started to cause a few problems forcing an excellent save from Harry Wilson.

Rapid continued to create chances though and completed the win with goals from Tom Jepson, Liam Twigg and Jude getting his hat-trick.

Hexham had teams from U12 and under playing across the region at the weekend to show the strength in depth and interest in youth football.