IF you ever wondered about the history of a North Tyne village and its surrounding area, then look no further than a new book compiled by budding local historians.

Humshaugh residents struck gold when, last year, they discovered a documented history of Humshaugh and the surrounding area in the village archives, which appeared to have been written between the 1950s and 1960s.

The book - Humshaugh: A History - uses archived information and local expertise to educate reader’s on the origins of the area, the Lordship of Tynedale, the significance of local facilities such as the church and school, and how the area has evolved over time.

Resident Herbie Newell, who helped create the new publication, said: “ The text in the book was unearthed in our village archives last year.

“Notwithstanding our efforts, we had been unable to identify who wrote the history in the mid-20th century; however, it is by far the most comprehensive history of Humsahugh.

“We felt, therefore, that it should be made available to a wider audience.”

Within the first few pages, reader’s will learn that Humshaugh was included in a 1769 map of Northumberland, but did not receive a church until 1818.

The earliest records show Humshaugh as a township within the parish of Simonburn, the book records, and a chapel was built in Haughton at around 1100 AD.

It is revealed that the village was named Hounshale in 1279 before changing to other names such as Homeshalh and Hounshalgh before being named Humshaugh.

The book states it is recorded that Humshaugh was burned down around 1528, which “illustrates the turbulent and lawless conditions which prevailed and brought the entire countryside into disrepute.”

It is recorded that Haughton Castle earned its title in 1373, however in the 1541 it was attacked with thieves entering by scaling ladders and carrying off nine horses and goods worth £40.

The earliest recording of the village’s school states that it was erected in 1833. The school’s log book records that children received a holiday for the local wedding of Miss Ridley of Walwick.

One girl even left for Wall school because she was not taught “fancy work” at Humshaugh. in 1939, schoolchildren from East Walker travelled from Tyneside to the North Tyne as part of the Second World War evacuation programme.

Humshaugh Village Hall is somewhat relatively new in terms of the village’s history. Erected in 1928 the building is a memorial to the fallen and those involved with the First World War.

The Chollerford Bridge, which still stands as one of the North Tyne’s most recognisable landmarks today, reportedly collapsed in 1718, and carried away in the great flood of 1771 despite repair.

Over the past 40 years the villages of Humshaugh and Chollerford have expanded due to numerous housing developments.

In 1911 the census states the population of Humshaugh was 519, however the 2011 census states the population is only 612.

Copies of the book (£5) are available from Humshaugh Village Shop, the Crown Inn, Humshaugh, or by post from Humshaugh Publications c/o Chris Harding chrisharding7767@gmail.com, price £7.