A POPULAR Tynedale pub has closed after a fire broke out in the bar area at the weekend.

The licensees of the White Swan, in Ovingham, were devastated that a fire, believed to have started through an electrical fault, broke out just after 12.30am on Sunday.

John Sharkey said the family were saddened to see the damage caused as a result, but insisted it would do everything to reopen as early as possible.

He also wished to thank everybody for their help during, and after, the fire, particularly to his neighbours who allowed the family to stop with them in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A spokeswoman for Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the service received a report of the fire at 12.34am and a fire appliance from Prudhoe and two crews from Tyne and Wear attended.

A fire and rescue investigation into the blaze was ongoing.