A MOTORIST arrested after the death of a Ponteland man almost a year ago has been released without charge.

32-year-old Nigel Li was killed in an accident on the A19 on January 3.

Mr Li had been on his way to work, but was hit by a car after getting out of his vehicle in a layby.

Police at the time said there had been a "very minor" collision between Nigel’s silver Volkswagen Golf and another vehicle.

The two pulled into the layby, and Mr Li ended up in on the carriageway of the A19, where he was hit by a black Volkswagen and killed.

Police arrested a 37-year-old man on suspicion of manslaughter. He had been released under investigation, but police have now told him he will face no further action.

The driver of the vehicle that hit Mr Li was not arrested.