UNDER FIRE: Plans to build a new emergency hospital in Cramlington were condemned by dozens of leading medics, who were concerned about patient safety and the potential misuse of public funds.

CRIKEY MATE: Two wallabies escaped from Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre after the mesh surrounding the centre was cut in a break-in. Thankfully the mother and baby hadn’t hopped far before they were caught and returned to safety.

DOUBLE TROUBLE: Hexham mother and daughter Fiona Hall and Lorna MacLeod graduated from their teaching degrees at Northumbria University on the same day.

SMART SHOPPER: Bardon Mill woman Monique Clark was hoping to be named the country’s savviest shopper, having made the final 11 contestants from a pool of 12,000.


SEEMS FISHY: For the third time in the previous four years, salmon and sea trout were being found dead and dying in the River Tyne at Wylam. Recent hot weather and the lack of prolonged rainfall was being held responsible.

ESCALATING BATTLE: Allegations of bullying were levelled at Tynedale Council staff during the ‘battle of the leotards’ at Wentworth Leisure Centre between two aerobic groups and the council.

NOT SHOT: Tynedale Council’s planning committee agreed to a 75 per cent increase in clay pigeon shooting in the area, despite, the fact a man was hit by spent shot when walking at Broomley.

SHELL SHOCKED: The planning committee themselves were under fire in Corbridge, after it emerged that five councillors were not consulted on approved plans to build a giant shell advertising sign in the centre of the village.


LOW NOTE: The Tynedale Agricultural Show found its fortunes at a low ebb after poor weather conditions and an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease had ruined the show and left the society £7,000 in the red.

DALE TASTE: A party of 33 German tourists staying at Allendale County Secondary School were impressed by the peaceful nature of the village, the friendliness of the residents and the biscuits baked by the school matron, Mrs Coates.


D-DAY TALK: Members of Hexham Rotary Club were given a first-hand account of D-Day when former local journalist, Captain Donald Leslie, told them about the important role played in the landings by the 50th Northumberland Division.

SWEET FAREWELL: To mark her retirement after 16 years as headmistress of Simonburn C of E School, Miss Annie Atkinson, was presented with a silver sugar bowl which was brought by past and present pupils. She urged pupils to carry on with their endeavours and to maintain the good name of the school.


‘FARE’ REPORT: The headmistress at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Hexham, Miss Ellis, reported that attendance had been good for most of the year. County authorities were encouraging parents to send their daughters to school for a period of three years, giving them assistance with railway fares subject to regular attendance.

SHARP WIN: At the peace celebrations in Ovingham, Mrs Palmer won half-a-dozen tea knives in the Aunt Sally competition for women over 50.

ON TAP: Members of Hexham Urban Council visited Ladle Wells in the wilds of Hexhamshire, to inspect the spring that supplied the town’s water. The flow of water was found to be satisfactory following a drought earlier in the year.


SLEEPY DRUNK: A pitman from Haltwhistle was summoned before the town’s petty sessions, charged with being drunk and disorderly. He had been found lying in the middle of the road by P.C Lilico, who had difficulty rousing him. He was fined five shillings.

NO TAKERS: The freehold of the Blue Bell Inn in Corbridge was offered at auction, but was withdrawn when no-one would offer the reserve price. The highest bid was £540.

LIBERAL ADDRESS: Women’s suffrage was on the agenda when Hexham MP Atherley Jones addressed the women’s liberal association. He admitted he had been in a state of “benighted darkness” when he thought that very few women wanted the vote.


BIKER GANG: A member of the Hexham Velocipede Club said that the group were so pleased with the new bicycle they had purchased for £10, that they were not going to be satisfied with just one, and decided that they would have to buy a second.

DAY OUT: Members of the choir of Chollerton Parish Church had a trip to the city of Durham, paid for by the vicar, Rev. Bird. They attended a service at the cathedral, which it was hoped would improve their singing.