NEW guidance for trading animals, animal products, food and feed in the event of the UK leaving the European Union without a deal has been released by the government.

In the event of a no-deal, businesses exporting these goods would need to apply for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) before they export.

All EHCs would then need to be signed by authorised signatory, such as an official veterinarian, after a inspection has taken place. Exporters will also need to ensure that their trade routes passes through a border inspection post when entering Europe.

Although there are no new regulations for importers, businesses, from March 29, businesses will need to operate through a new system, called the Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System, which will replicate the current European Union Trade Control and Expert System process currently used by importers to notify authorities of imports of animal products, and high-risk food from non-European Union countries.

The government is also taking preventative measures to help to minimise trade disruption through current negotiations with the European Union to secure the UK’s recognition as a third country from the European Union which will allow exports to continue from the day of the divorce.

Food and Animal Welfare Minister David Rutley said: “Our top priority remains delivering a negotiated deal, but it is the job of a responsible government to ensure we are prepared for all scenarios, including no deal.

“If you or your business export or import animals and animal products or imports high risk food and feed you will need to prepare for a number of changes in the event of a no-deal Brexit.”

Export Health Certificates along with the full list of trade guidelines are available from