Tynedale are 'Hot Stuff' right now

Tristan Grant. Photo: JOHN AUSTIN
Tristan Grant. Photo: JOHN AUSTIN
11 October 2017 2:32PM

SHEFFIELD is famous for steel, snooker and as the setting for the saucy smash hit film The Full Monty..

And on Saturday, it was Tynedale’s turn to produce a full monty of their own, as they romped to a sixth successive victory, yet again claiming maximum points.

They had the game put to bed by half time, scoring all 29 points before the break in another sensational display of quality rugby.

Tynedale produced probably their best half of the season so far as they ran in five tries, but in the second period, they denied the Tigers possession and moved the ball around the park with precision, enough to make it difficult for them to settle into their rather predictable pattern.

Unusually, only two of the tries were converted, a phenomenon which had much to do with the weather conditions at Dore Moor.

As well as squally showers, the wind was swirling to the extent that it was very possible to see all corner flags going in different directions at the same time, on a pitch with quite a slope.

Tynedale pounded the bottom corner in the first half as the wind was across the pitch but the tries scored there were impossible to convert because of the gale blowing into the face of Rob Parker, who was kicking in the absence of Ash Smith.

Skipper Matty Outson had another outstanding game at scrum half, linking well with the equally impressive Dan Taylor at fly half, as well as the ever reliable Scott Powell at the base of the scrum.

It was perhaps a surprise that they didn’t add to their tally against the Yorkshiremen, but it seemed they had done enough in the first 40 minutes.

Tigers stepped up their game, but Tynedale were equal to just to everything the home side could throw at them with some exemplary tackling and defensive work.

It took Tynedale just eight minutes to get into the stride, as a well executed catch and drive from a line out saw Powell touch down.

The catch and drive recipe was a good one, for, just minutes later, another line-out move ended with prop Tristan Grant claiming the try.

The Tigers hit back on 18 minutes, producing a catch and drive of their own which ended with flanker Joseph Symcox going over to make it 10-5.

Virtually straight from the restart, the ball was whisked along the line for Parker to take off like a late summer swallow to score a fine try.

And the bonus point was in the bag as early as the 25th minute when flanker Joe Mills forced his way over to give Parker his first success from the tee to make it 22-5.

The tries kept coming, and after a tremendous surge from Max Davies, Outson roared in, Parker adding the extras for a comfortable 29-5 at the break.

Tynedale eased off in the second half with second row Jonny Cousin having to go to hospital for treatment to a badly gashed knee.

While Tigers improved, they could find no way past the excellent Tynedale defence until the dying minutes, when full back Peter Swatkins managed to get over for a consolation score.

Tynedale, who have made their best start to a season for a decade, have their biggest challenge of the season so far on Saturday when Sale are the visitors.

The Cheshire side lost in the promotion play-off last season and have won all four home games this term but are yet to win on their travels, losing 24-16 at Sedgley Park and drawing 22-22 at South Leicester.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know