Prudhoe inflict first defeat on Bedlington

14 September 2017 10:53AM

BEDLINGTON relinquished top spot when they went down to a buoyant Prudhoe YC Seniors.

The hosts were excellent as they controlled the game for large spells, edging the contest to inflict a first defeat on the division's early pace setters.

Prudhoe took the game to the visitors during an impressive first half, and came close to breaking the deadlock on 10 minutes through Matty Robinson.

The midfielder set his sights with a rasping free kick, but he was unfortunate to see his effort sail over the crossbar.

A minute later, the same man tried his luck on goal and a similar pattern occurred as it just cleared the top of the frame.

Sam Dibb-Fuller was lively for Prudhoe in the early exchanges and he brought a save from the Bedlington stopper on 15 minutes, moments before shooting narrowly wide.

Fellow 16-year-old Ben Bloomer then forced the goalkeeper into another save following a perfectly executed cross field pass from Robinson, earning Prudhoe a corner in the process.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure and it came as no surprise when they finally broke the deadlock on 21 minutes.

Dibb-Fuller's well struck shot from 15 yards was spilled by the Bedlington shot stopper, but Jack Bell was on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

Bedlington were back on level terms when a counter attack caught Prudhoe out at the back, Joe Moscropp nipping in and equalising against the run of play just after the half hour.

The home side went into the half time break ahead, though, with the workrate and energy of Robinson pivotal in them regaining the lead three minutes later.

He charged down a clearance from the full back, and the ball fell into the path of striker Sean Brown who held off a defender, calmly rounded the goalkeeper and slotted the ball home.

Bedlington came back strongly after the restart as they looked to make it six wins from their opening six games, but they suffered a set back when they were reduced to 10 men.

The physical side could perhaps count themselves lucky that they hadn't received any cards of any colour earlier in the game, but there was no complaints when referee Barry Mudd reduced their numbers after Brown was hauled to the ground when through on goal.

The red card only spurred the visitors on and they came close on a number of occasions to pinching something from the game late on.

However, Prudhoe goalkeeper Jack Walker and his defence, marshaled expertly by man of the match Brad Rogers deputising in an unfamiliar role, stood firm.

While it was mainly a backs to the wall job in the final half an hour of the game, Prudhoe were unlucky not to put the game to bed with five minutes remaining when substitute Scott Douglas watched a firm strike from 20 yards cannon back off the post with the goalkeeper helpless.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know