Magpies shoot their way to glory

18 May 2017 9:20AM

THE fire power of Throckley Magpies saw them get their hands on the West Division Youth Cup.

Their attacking threat shot them past a plucky Haltwhistle United in the final, the 5-1 scoreline not justifying Haltwhistle’s strong challenge even if Throckley were worthy winners.

The winning margin could have been larger but for a string of saves from United’s Niall Hall, while midfielder Isaac Rogan drove them on time and again.

But it was doubles from Throckley’s impressive centre forward Tye Bakiewicz and attack minded Charlie Green, as well as a single from Oliver Auld which saw Throckley comfortable winners.

It was Haltwhistle who took the lead after just three minutes, though, as they set up a frantic opening 10 minutes.

Owen Atkinson used his pace to get on to Connor Richardson’s defence splitting through ball, and the striker showed ice cool nerves to round Guy Bell and slot the ball home.

But it was 1-1 within two minutes, Auld reacting to a Hall save to prod home the leveller.

There was barely time to catch breath before Throckley gained the lead, Green refusing to give up and robbing his opponent of possession before firing past Hall.

It was 3-1 just after the 10-minute mark, Ben Veitch’s excellent free kick attacked by tiny striker Bakiewicz who sent his header from close range home.

Bakiewicz was causing all sorts of problems with his directness and pace, and he forced Hall into three quick saves, including a brilliant double save.

Haltwhistle were creating chances at the other end too, with Richardson cutting in from the left and hitting a good shot on goal which was well saved by Bell.

Moments later, Rogan hit a ferocious free kick which just cleared the cross bar. The same player came close from a set piece within a minute of the restart, this time his effort rippling the side netting. But it was not long before Throckley took control with Hall making a good shot to keep out Veitch’s low drive, recovering well to deny Bakiewicz.

When the striker did have Hall beaten, his shot bounced back off the post.

For all their efforts, they couldn’t find the elusive fourth to kill the game with Green bursting through a number of tackles but missing the target.

The all-important goal did come with 13 minutes remaining, Green prodding home his second after some resolute defending from Haltwhistle saw a goalmouth scramble break out.

And the final nail in the coffin saw Bakiewicz make it 5-1 when he burst through and slammed a great strike past Hall to make sure of the victory.

The same player was denied an impressive hat-trick, Hall again denying him as he kept the score down.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know